Proposal for a management interface

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Admin
Site Admin

Proposal for a management interface

Post by Admin » 03 Apr 2010, 20:39

After many user emails and forum topics about problems to manage the accounts, specially with multiple Firefox installed on different computers I cam to the conclusion:
There is a need for a (optional) central login/password mechanism.
Optional means only optional on the web version. On the firefox Add-On it would be mandatory to set in its preferences a login/password.
On the web version there would be a kind of tab to switch between log into this interface or just quickly create a disposable address.

Here is a wireframe sketch how it could look like:
manager.png
Management interface
manager.png (70.41 KiB) Viewed 30253 times
What do you think about this?
Any ideas or suggestions or what could be improved?
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Saxtus

Re: Proposal for a management interface

Post by Saxtus » 03 Apr 2010, 20:54

It will solve many problems.
May I suggest the addition of a statistics column containing like for example "how many times mail was forwarded", "what was the last time an email was forwarded", "when email was created".

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 03 Apr 2010, 20:58

Saxtus wrote:It will solve many problems.
May I suggest the addition of a statistics column containing like for example "how many times mail was forwarded", "what was the last time an email was forwarded", "when email was created".
This is a good idea. I will add it.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

plaintext

Post by plaintext » 04 Apr 2010, 08:28

This seems to bee a reasonable concept, AFICS. One question remains: What exactly is the intended propose of that link "Action: clone" far right?

As you mentioned above, using this central managing interface is fully optional, thus I assume managing the addresses with the Firefox plugin will continue beeing fully supported. This is a very important point for me. Beyond this, I would like to have a option to rebuild or clone addresses to a local system, in case I had to create a new profile.

Everything else is fine, please continue with your work and your great service.
Thanks.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 04 Apr 2010, 10:52

plaintext wrote:This seems to bee a reasonable concept, AFICS. One question remains: What exactly is the intended propose of that link "Action: clone" far right?

As you mentioned above, using this central managing interface is fully optional, thus I assume managing the addresses with the Firefox plugin will continue beeing fully supported. This is a very important point for me. Beyond this, I would like to have a option to rebuild or clone addresses to a local system, in case I had to create a new profile.

Everything else is fine, please continue with your work and your great service.
Thanks.
What do mean with "AFICS"?
Clone means to duplicate an address with the same settings.

For Firefox: Yes the TrashMail Manager will be same except that it will no more store the addresses in the local firefox profile but on server side.

What do you mean exactly with building addresses to a local system?
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

plaintext

Post by plaintext » 04 Apr 2010, 11:02

Admin wrote: What do mean with "AFICS"?
As far I can see. Sorry :oops:
Admin wrote: For Firefox: Yes the TrashMail Manager will be same except that it will no more store the addresses in the local firefox profile but on server side.

What do you mean exactly with building addresses to a local system?
If all the addresses are always stored on the server only, where the plugin can access them, then everythin is OK for me. My concern was, that the addresses couldn't be transferred easily into a newly created profile. But with your upcoming server solution, this will be obsolete.

mr-flot

Post by mr-flot » 09 May 2010, 06:21

A brilliant idea.

Will it be for both Free users and Trashmail Plus account holders?

Is it likely to cause the Trashmail Plus fees to increase?

(I hold Trashmail Plus accounts).

ntespka

Post by ntespka » 12 May 2010, 14:55

I would ask that the Plugin have the ability to ask for login credentials during every session, rather than permanently storing them. Otherwise, anybody who sits down at that machine has full access to your Trashmail account.

ntespka

Post by ntespka » 12 May 2010, 14:58

I would also suggest, for privacy/security's sake, that there be a Preference to NOT store information about which web page the email address was created for. And I don't mean to hide the data, I'm talking about not storing the data at all - anywhere.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 13 May 2010, 13:09

ntespka wrote:I would also suggest, for privacy/security's sake, that there be a Preference to NOT store information about which web page the email address was created for. And I don't mean to hide the data, I'm talking about not storing the data at all - anywhere.
We could maybe put inside a feature in the Add-On that you would need to authentify for each email creation.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

ntespka

Post by ntespka » 13 May 2010, 13:37

Admin wrote:
ntespka wrote:
I would also suggest, for privacy/security's sake, that there be a Preference to NOT store information about which web page the email address was created for. And I don't mean to hide the data, I'm talking about not storing the data at all - anywhere.

We could maybe put inside a feature in the Add-On that you would need to authentify for each email creation.

I would be fine with a single authentication per session, which would occur the first time a user either tried to create a new email *OR* the first time they tried to go into the Address Manager, or did anything to configure/access the server account (in case the Preferences of the plug-in affect the Preferences of the server account).

However, I do believe that there should also be an option for not storing extra information for each email address - this would include which website it was created for as well as the date/time which it was created. If a user configures their account for this, the information should not be stored anywhere - not in the plugin, and not in the server account either. If this is enabled, no one should have access to this information, including you. It should simply not exist.

I believe strongly that this is a necessary security precaution, and while it will not be of value to everyone, many users would appreciate the option.