Reply-To bug...

Bug reports about this site.
Z

Reply-To bug...

Post by Z » 31 Dec 2006, 19:39

Now I got it. I were wondering why reply to doesn't seem to be working at times.

But if SENDER has already set reply-to tag, trasmail just adds another. So when replying to email. My email client uses the first one found in headers and replies are sent directly with my real address to sender.

I think this isn't serious but it's a bug that clearly should be fixed. And IF reply-to is already set, please just modify it. So if email contains tags like.

Code: Select all

Reply-To: <[email protected]>
That old reply-to tag should be modified to contain trashmail forwarding information. And from shouldn't be used directly to form reply-to tag.

- Thanks!

Me a geek? Noooo... It's new years evening. What else I could do? ;)

Z

Re: Reply-To bug...

Post by Z » 01 Jan 2007, 12:41

After thinking a quite good while. I would save old reply-to as x-reply-to.

Any comments about that? So if from and reply to fields were different for some reason and user still wants reply directly he or she doulc use that x-reply-to address without thinking how to extract it from trashmail format.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 04 Jan 2007, 23:06

Z wrote: Me a geek? Noooo... It's new years evening. What else I could do? ;)
I can understand you perfectly. You are not alone. :)
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 04 Jan 2007, 23:12

Z wrote:After thinking a quite good while. I would save old reply-to as x-reply-to.

Any comments about that? So if from and reply to fields were different for some reason and user still wants reply directly he or she doulc use that x-reply-to address without thinking how to extract it from trashmail format.
This is a good idea. Reply-To is still buggy. I saw this with the Gentoo Mailing List.
There are the following rules for Reply-To option for the email header:
1. Check for From line to define the Reply-To address
2. Check for a Reply-To line to overwrite the Reply-To address and stop processing the checks.
3. Check for a X-Mailing-List line to overwrite the Reply-To address and stop processing the checks.

So the priorities are the following (the first is the top priority):
1. X-Mailing-List
2. Reply-To
3. From
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH