ReplyTo, in reply to reply, being messed up

Bug reports about this site.
SnakeDoc

ReplyTo, in reply to reply, being messed up

Post by SnakeDoc » 07 Dec 2006, 08:33

First of all, I would like to say ... TRASHMAIL RULES! I found it because I was just browsing throughsome firefox extensions, I I found the one for trash mail - it's is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, and I will use it untill the day the law allows for spammers to be hung from thier balls in public places, and on live TV. Okay, now that THAT is out the way, small problem...

I sign up for account, and give the addy out to someone.
They send me a mail - the mail gets re-routed to my computer
Thier FROM address, is still intact, so I can save them to my contacts if I will, have filters operating, because the TO address is the temp email I gave them, which is great.
I reply to them, and it gets sent to an address @ trashmail first, and then onto the final person, which is great, because I don't have to remember to change my return address and all that.
THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS
The person cannot REPLY to my REPLY - the one that has gone via trashnet, because the replys return address is mytrashmailaddy@localdomain. This obviosuly causes a problem, because people may not have noticed, until they get a bounce notice, and it's even more of a problem, if they are using a mail server which accepts the localdomain extension, because then the mail destined for me gets delivered to the same user on THIER domain... so 'not' cool!

I hope this can be addressed!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: ReplyTo, in reply to reply, being messed up

Post by Admin » 07 Dec 2006, 09:21

SnakeDoc wrote:First of all, I would like to say ... TRASHMAIL RULES! I found it because I was just browsing throughsome firefox extensions, I I found the one for trash mail - it's is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, and I will use it untill the day the law allows for spammers to be hung from thier balls in public places, and on live TV. Okay, now that THAT is out the way, small problem...
Thanks!
SnakeDoc wrote: I sign up for account, and give the addy out to someone.
They send me a mail - the mail gets re-routed to my computer
Thier FROM address, is still intact, so I can save them to my contacts if I will, have filters operating, because the TO address is the temp email I gave them, which is great.
I reply to them, and it gets sent to an address @ trashmail first, and then onto the final person, which is great, because I don't have to remember to change my return address and all that.
THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS
The person cannot REPLY to my REPLY - the one that has gone via trashnet, because the replys return address is mytrashmailaddy@localdomain. This obviosuly causes a problem, because people may not have noticed, until they get a bounce notice, and it's even more of a problem, if they are using a mail server which accepts the localdomain extension, because then the mail destined for me gets delivered to the same user on THIER domain... so 'not' cool!

I hope this can be addressed!
Hmm strange!
I just tried, with me and it works. Can you please create a trashmail.net address which refers to your real email address and post the trashmail.net address here in the forum. Then I will send you an email and you will reply, and then I will try to reply to your reply message?

I changed in the past something which hide the address of your domain name server from which you sent your mail by localhost and localdomain because nobody needs to know from which real domain name you sent your email. In the future I would like also to filter out signatures of the emails which could contain for example phone numbers of the persons.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

SnakeDoc

test addresses

Post by SnakeDoc » 07 Dec 2006, 09:35

[email protected]

Thanks for the super fast reply!
Thats my trashmail.net addy - freshly generated, adn expires in 2 days... man I love that firefox plugin!!

Lets see if we can recreate the issue - i could forward you the one I recreated using my few gmail accounts if you want, but lets get through this first! Feel free to email me @ the address above

SnakeDoc

Post by SnakeDoc » 07 Dec 2006, 10:02

Did you get my reply? I sent it almost immediatly your FIRST message came through?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 11 Dec 2006, 20:33

SnakeDoc wrote:Did you get my reply? I sent it almost immediatly your FIRST message came through?
I think I fixed the bug.
But I don't understand why this worked with my email account...
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 11 Dec 2006, 20:45

Admin wrote:
SnakeDoc wrote:Did you get my reply? I sent it almost immediatly your FIRST message came through?
I think I fixed the bug.
But I don't understand why this worked with my email account...
I don't see the problem.
Is it possible that you specified in your email client manually as FROM address a @trashmail.net, and trashmail thinks this is your real email address?
Anyway I added now a workaround that all kind of domain names will be replaced but trashmail.net.
Now it should work.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

SnakeDoc

Post by SnakeDoc » 12 Dec 2006, 11:49

Thanks for getting on this, and sorting it out - it's really appreciated when someone takes time out to do these things Smile

I'm going to test it now, to make sure it all works as it should

In reply to your post.
Is it possible that you specified in your email client manually as FROM address a @trashmail.net, and trashmail thinks this is your real email address?
Umm... I think I did! Is this a 'no no'? The reason I did that, is because I might be the one initiating some email conversations, can't always wait for someone to email me first - so if I email them first, they need to correct reply to address, which would be [email protected]
Go for SnakeDoc!!

SnakeDoc

Post by SnakeDoc » 12 Dec 2006, 12:04

It seems that if my from address is set to a domain other than trashmail, everything works fine :)

And also, when my from address IS set to a trashmail domain....

It works as well! Thanks for fixing the bug, your great!
Go for SnakeDoc!!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 12 Dec 2006, 16:23

SnakeDoc wrote:It seems that if my from address is set to a domain other than trashmail, everything works fine :)

And also, when my from address IS set to a trashmail domain....

It works as well! Thanks for fixing the bug, your great!
Thanks,
you are welcome.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH