Empty emails (payload missing, invalid sender)

Bug reports about this site.
Z

Empty emails (payload missing, invalid sender)

Post by Z » 19 Sep 2010, 08:04

Hi users,

Has anyone else received empty emails? Whole body is missing and sender is [email protected]?
I'm getting plenty of these messages. So I'm quite sure there is something seriously wrong with trashmail.
Yes, I have alarmed admin about this. But I would like to get confirmation from other users too.

Z

plaintext

Re: Empty emails (payload missing, invalid sender)

Post by plaintext » 19 Sep 2010, 12:04

Confirmed. I hope the service is coming back soon

Z

Post by Z » 19 Sep 2010, 13:45

I already texted admin, but now reply yet. I also provided some extra details etc. I assume sending email is pointless because payload is lost. ;)

Let's hope he gets service first down asap, and then fix the issue and get it back running again.

Trashmail has been working fine for very long time, compared to other similar services. But now it seems that it's catching up with problems. ;(

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 19 Sep 2010, 16:56

Z wrote:Hi users,

Has anyone else received empty emails? Whole body is missing and sender is [email protected]?
I'm getting plenty of these messages. So I'm quite sure there is something seriously wrong with trashmail.
Yes, I have alarmed admin about this. But I would like to get confirmation from other users too.

Z
Yes there was a serious problem:
All forwarded emails have been lost.
After changing database settings, the forwarding software engine failed with an error code.
This could happen, for example if database is broken or lost. However, the mail server did not recognized this and should had normally at least bounce the messages back to sender to inform about this issue.
Instead the error was undetected by SMTP server software and emails have been forwarded empty.
I'm really sorry about this issue, I lost myself one email:
I got one empty [email protected] and severals empty www-data emails.

What I will do is the following:
I will build into the forward engine a panic recovery mode:
If there is an error, whatever it is, it should dump the original email on harddisk and there should be a possibility to "replay" the failed emails.
Currently we don't save any emails for data privacy, but in this case it should be an exception, because losing of emails is very bad.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH