Maintenance: SPF installation

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Admin
Site Admin

Maintenance: SPF installation

Post by Admin » 11 Dec 2010, 15:43

Many spammers fake @trashmail.net domain name. A SPF system will be installed to prevent this in future.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Maintenance: SPF installation

Post by Admin » 11 Dec 2010, 22:17

Admin wrote:Many spammers forges @trashmail.net domain name. A SPF system will be installed to prevent this in future.
SPF installation & setup finished.
TrashMail.net has now the following TXT DNS entry:
v=spf1 a mx -all

On UNIX compatible system (e.g. Mac OS X) you can verify it by typing the following command in a terminal:
# host -t TXT trashmail.net
trashmail.net descriptive text "v=spf1 a mx -all"

Additionally TrashMail checks now incoming emails about their SPF entry. It refuses faked email sender if the postmaster of the domains setup SPF correctly and accepts that their mails are refused by using the "-all" flag in their domain name TXT entry.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 11 Dec 2010, 22:43

Good to know. I'm sure that many users might suffer from this, before they realize what has happened.

I personally send most of my mail from fake addresses, not using the official MX. Because it's recommended to always use local isp mail server. Which means, that when I'm using any other connection than my home connection, I'm sending fake email. And vise versa, when I'm sending business email from home, I'm also sending fake email. This is well known drawback of using strict SPF rules.

You should make it clear for ugh, non technically savvy people what this means in practical terms.

So, if you want to send email from trashmail you have to use reply functionality or use web-form to send email. You can't use faked trashmail address. Which means you can't use it with your email program or web-mail or what ever to send email.

And for those users that still don't get it. It means that ... If you aren't PLUS member, you can't send mail from trashmail to any other addresses that you haven't received email from first.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 12 Dec 2010, 09:17

Z wrote:Good to know. I'm sure that many users might suffer from this, before they realize what has happened.

I personally send most of my mail from fake addresses, not using the official MX. Because it's recommended to always use local isp mail server. Which means, that when I'm using any other connection than my home connection, I'm sending fake email. And vise versa, when I'm sending business email from home, I'm also sending fake email. This is well known drawback of using strict SPF rules.

You should make it clear for ugh, non technically savvy people what this means in practical terms.

So, if you want to send email from trashmail you have to use reply functionality or use web-form to send email. You can't use faked trashmail address. Which means you can't use it with your email program or web-mail or what ever to send email.

And for those users that still don't get it. It means that ... If you aren't PLUS member, you can't send mail from trashmail to any other addresses that you haven't received email from first.
Yes exactly. But sending fake emails requires a special email client which allows to change the "MAIL FROM" header or using telnet. I think that 99% of faked @trashmail.net mails comes from phishing attacks.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH