Maintenance

This is a forum about all kind of information about TrashMail.net related information, news and outages.

Post Reply
Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1241
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Maintenance

Post by Admin » 15 Sep 2010, 08:18

We will re-install today the whole root partition.
This means that there will be a few outages for this operation.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1241
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Maintenance

Post by Admin » 17 Sep 2010, 06:26

Admin wrote:We will re-install today the whole root partition.
This means that there will be a few outages for this operation.
Maintenance done.
Sorry for this outage of about 48 hours:
Our hosting service implemented a new hard disk in the server. With this I made again a full 1:1 backup than recreated the rpool Zpool on the original RAID-1 disks.
Then I copied back the data. There was over 100 millions of files to copy, so it took ages.

Maybe I should think about more high availability, but it would costs a lot of more money.
For this I could create a pool on this forum that everyone could vote if he would be ready to pay more to get more high availability.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

User avatar
Saxtus
Posts: 94
Joined: 05 Oct 2009, 06:13
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Maintenance

Post by Saxtus » 17 Sep 2010, 08:00

Although I understand that you couldn't do anything when the situation was presented to you,
you should understand that without having any means of knowing what happening or communicating with you
(like an external site that you could post progress) and show to us that you're a bit proactive and caring,
I lost the little faith that I had left in this service.

Things like that drive away free users, imagine how paying customers like me feel.
So the only thing I can do, is to provide a link that might help the majority of this forum readers, but not you.

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1241
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Maintenance

Post by Admin » 17 Sep 2010, 09:12

Saxtus wrote:Although I understand that you couldn't do anything when the situation was presented to you,
you should understand that without having any means of knowing what happening or communicating with you
(like an external site that you could post progress) and show to us that you're a bit proactive and caring,
I lost the little faith that I had left in this service.

Things like that drive away free users, imagine how paying customers like me feel.
So the only thing I can do, is to provide a link that might help the majority of this forum readers, but not you.
Next time I will send a mass message to notify about the exception.
For the link:
I would not trust the free services:
1. There is no data privacy guaranteed and no postal contact information, so you don't know who and what they do with your private data.
2. There is nobody who will repair the service if it gets down because they don't really care for free services.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

John

Re: Maintenance

Post by John » 17 Sep 2010, 13:13

Hi,
do we get the lost emails from the last 2 days?

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1241
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Maintenance

Post by Admin » 17 Sep 2010, 13:21

John wrote:Hi,
do we get the lost emails from the last 2 days?
No that I know:
The system has been 1:1 copied to a backup hard disk, then back.
Mails should be queued for longer than 48 hours on sender server.
Maybe some mail server rejected emails after 24 hours. In this case the sender will be notified. For automatic emails: They could be lost in this case if the queue time is configured as too low.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

User avatar
Saxtus
Posts: 94
Joined: 05 Oct 2009, 06:13
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Maintenance

Post by Saxtus » 17 Sep 2010, 13:21

Admin wrote:1. There is no data privacy guaranteed and no postal contact information, so you don't know who and what they do with your private data.
http://www.soodonims.com/soodonims/htm/ ... Policy.htm
Admin wrote:2. There is nobody who will repair the service if it gets down because they don't really care for free services.
After the history of problems with Trashmail.net, I feel I gamble with any service anyway.

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1241
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Maintenance

Post by Admin » 17 Sep 2010, 13:47

Saxtus wrote:
Admin wrote:1. There is no data privacy guaranteed and no postal contact information, so you don't know who and what they do with your private data.
http://www.soodonims.com/soodonims/htm/ ... Policy.htm
Where are the legal notices of this company?
What is if they take your money and power off their service?
What is the postal address of this company? Where is the register court and the register number?
How could you proceed with a lawyer against them?

With TrashMail.net you have this information here:
http://www.trashmail.net/imprint.html
Saxtus wrote:
Admin wrote:2. There is nobody who will repair the service if it gets down because they don't really care for free services.
After the history of problems with Trashmail.net, I feel I gamble with any service anyway.
They have the same problems but you don't know it because you never uses them.

I know several DEA services which closed from one day to another.
TrashMail.net exists since 2002!
You can trust that we will not close from one day to another without notifying our customers.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Post Reply