Netopia ADSL modem hanged up

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Admin
Site Admin

Netopia ADSL modem hanged up

Post by Admin » 10 Jan 2007, 09:07

Hello,

the Netopia ADSL hanged up from Wed Jan 10 01:22:01 CET 2007 up to Wed Jan 10 09:01:01 CET 2007.
Its strange this regular modem hangs up. After an switch off and on of the modem, the internet connection works again. I never have seen one ADSL modem which was working without this problem that it need to be switched off and on after a period of time.
Is it so difficult to make a working ADSL modem or is it the ADSL telecom provider which fails?
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Re: Netopia ADSL modem hanged up

Post by Z » 10 Jan 2007, 15:59

Welcome to the future.

Your watch, your phone, your doorbell, your coffee maker, your toilet, shower, or what ever malfunctions because shitty firmware...

That's why I usually shedule weekly reboot for all important devices / servers so I can avoid UN-sheduled reboots / hangs. - I know it's stupid approach, but works actually damn well.

I have seen tons of ADSL modems which hang on regular basis and need reboot, so that's nothing new. Actually I also had ISDN router about 12 years a go which did exactly the same.

Btw. In Finland we also have buses (public transport). When ever bus automatic tracking system or doors or automatic gearbox fails, guess what driver will do. He'll turn the damn thing off. Go out disconnect systems from battery, and reconnect in about minute and then everything works fine again...

Isn't that just simply great... I wonder when your car won't work. Automatic gearbox stops working, doors won't open etc... You'll just need to REBOOT... ;)

I have also done some helpdesk work. It's easy to start phone call:
Helpdesk: Helpdesk, have you rebooted that damn machine?
Customer: Uhh, no?
Helpdesk: Reboot it, and don't ever call us again if you havent rebooted it. *click*

With crappy ADSL modems, next move is to press reset button when booting to restore default config. Flash memory is corrupted anyway. So don't worry.

P.S. Have you updated your adsl modem lately? If you haven't, don't complain.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 10 Jan 2007, 16:12

Z wrote:Welcome to the future.

Your watch, your phone, your doorbell, your coffee maker, your toilet, shower, or what ever malfunctions because shitty firmware...

That's why I usually shedule weekly reboot for all important devices / servers so I can avoid UN-sheduled reboots / hangs. - I know it's stupid approach, but works actually damn well.

I have seen tons of ADSL modems which hang on regular basis and need reboot, so that's nothing new. Actually I also had ISDN router about 12 years a go which did exactly the same.

Btw. In Finland we also have buses (public transport). When ever bus automatic tracking system or doors or automatic gearbox fails, guess what driver will do. He'll turn the damn thing off. Go out disconnect systems from battery, and reconnect in about minute and then everything works fine again...

Isn't that just simply great... I wonder when your car won't work. Automatic gearbox stops working, doors won't open etc... You'll just need to REBOOT... ;)

I have also done some helpdesk work. It's easy to start phone call:
Helpdesk: Helpdesk, have you rebooted that damn machine?
Customer: Uhh, no?
Helpdesk: Reboot it, and don't ever call us again if you havent rebooted it. *click*

With crappy ADSL modems, next move is to press reset button when booting to restore default config. Flash memory is corrupted anyway. So don't worry.

P.S. Have you updated your adsl modem lately? If you haven't, don't complain.
I have specially bought Netopia ADSL modem because I thought this were professional modems. But now I see that this is crap like all the other ADSL modems. The problem is that most of the time it hangs up alone. If it would be possible to log in via telnet and send automatically the reboot command.

If you reboot weekly automatically all servers, this is a normal GOOD procedure in Windows operating system only. On Linux or Solaris you don't need to reboot.

TrashMail.net does not use Windows.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 10 Jan 2007, 16:26

Admin wrote:If it would be possible to log in via telnet and send automatically the reboot command.
Usually it is...

But if it hangs irregularly without warning, then you need scheduled daily HARD boot. So even if you are away you're sure that it'll be working tomorrow. That's the worst case scenario.

If it hangs only after certain uptime, you can log in and softreboot it before that situation occures. This will work with most of servers etc systems. Which are quite reliable, but not reliable enough to be booted once per year or so.

I usually combine those in business enviroment where systems aren't needed 24/7. First I run shutdown procedure on servers at 03:55 then I use hard switch to turn power off 03:59 and turn it on 04:00... That's it... All systems up and going again. ;) It dependes from system if that's daily, weekly or monthly. I use inexpensive 4€ digital weekly timer AFTER UPS device so it's easy to reset any server / device at specified time.

It's lot easier to do sheduled boot than get "random hangup" during busy day and get about 200 calls nagging about something stupid (non-important) not working right now.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 11 Jan 2007, 11:11

Z wrote:
Admin wrote:If it would be possible to log in via telnet and send automatically the reboot command.
Usually it is...

But if it hangs irregularly without warning, then you need scheduled daily HARD boot. So even if you are away you're sure that it'll be working tomorrow. That's the worst case scenario.

If it hangs only after certain uptime, you can log in and softreboot it before that situation occures. This will work with most of servers etc systems. Which are quite reliable, but not reliable enough to be booted once per year or so.

I usually combine those in business enviroment where systems aren't needed 24/7. First I run shutdown procedure on servers at 03:55 then I use hard switch to turn power off 03:59 and turn it on 04:00... That's it... All systems up and going again. ;) It dependes from system if that's daily, weekly or monthly. I use inexpensive 4€ digital weekly timer AFTER UPS device so it's easy to reset any server / device at specified time.

It's lot easier to do sheduled boot than get "random hangup" during busy day and get about 200 calls nagging about something stupid (non-important) not working right now.
You are right, but a regular total power off is also dangerous. I don't know if this could not dammage in long term the hardware because of each time of the activation energy which is higher than the normal energy while the machine is ideling. And often hardware does no more come up after a complete power off.
But if you would set the timer to 09:00 o clock when you arrive at office, it would be ok because you could handle the situation.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 16 Jan 2007, 09:35

This is not joke. My Sony television TextTV feature hangs from time to time. And turning tv off by remote and on doesn't solve the problem. It requires hardboot... Funny or what?

And what about software testing? It's so easy to flash new firmware to my telly... *phew*

Z

Post by Z » 20 Jan 2007, 07:25

Yesterday it seemed like your adsl connection would have been failing again.

80% packet loss... On last hop from ISP to your network. It's quite high. ;)

But considering that latency wasn't very high.