Trashmail success and failure stories

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Saxtus

Trashmail success and failure stories

Post by Saxtus » 31 May 2013, 14:48

As a long time TrashMail.net user, I have never regreted using it to protect myself.
Until this year...

One more example became apparent the recent days:

My trashmail Logme.in e-mail, somehow started receiving spam, making me proud for not using my real address.
And here is where the success story ends.

While I was trying to generate a new e-mail to change to it, I've realized that LogMeIn is silently blocking Trashmail.
That must explain why I haven't received any of their promo mails for few weeks.

This is happening a lot lately, especially with forums, but somehow I was able to use contbay to skip that.
Logmein blocked that too (or your entire IP range, I couldn't know) so I had to use something non-Trashmail-ish.
Soon everybody will block contbay too, so what to do now?

Funny thing (and sad altogether):
I was trying to buy a software from another website and the owner rejected my request, asking me to "use a real e-mail".

Even less and less e-mails arrive at my trashmail addresses and every time I check, it's because they are silently blocked.
This is damaging to me because I am losing emails (important or not, they are still lost) and damaging to the reputation of the service,
as it cannot be trusted as something more than just a temporary email address that cannot last in time (and even then, if blocked it won't last even a second).

Soon, I will be back on what I was using before Trashmail: Manually creating aliases on my own web server for everything,
because at the end of the day, nowadays it's taking more time to check if trashmail is allowed in a site while trying different trashmail domains,
than creating a new alias.

Not to mention that this approach already costing me of not be able to use my usual nickname on some sites,
because the first account cannot be accessible due to cannot be email-verified thanks to blockage.

Inability to use our own domain names, is driving this fine service slowing to a dead-end
and the already bad reputation that trashmail range of addresses have, don't help either.

Unless the service is start decentralizing by letting us use our own domain names,
I am not seeing any light at the end of tunnel.

What you would do in my place?

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trashmail success and failure stories

Post by Admin » 07 Jun 2013, 11:01

Hello,

I understand the problem.
Even own domains could be blocked as they could check the IP-address of the MX server.
Contbay should be very robust against this blockages, as only Plus members sees this domain.

The only solution would be that the software could be installed on your own server, so then they can't block every server for every domain name in the world.
Let me think about what we could do.
Installing TrashMail on your own server would require technical knowledge and support for each different Linux server configuration (TrashMail runs on Linux).
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 07 Jun 2013, 11:21

The user Z has an excellent solution to this problem.
You would like it, and it will work as I'm currently rebuilding the backend. He will post it later this week-end on the forum.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Saxtus

Post by Saxtus » 07 Jun 2013, 17:02

Admin wrote:The user Z has an excellent solution to this problem.
You would like it, and it will work as I'm currently rebuilding the backend. He will post it later this week-end on the forum.
Exciting news.
Thank you mystery user Z (and of course, thank you Stephan)!

Will that address the short-live reply addresses problem, that I think they got obsolete after around 10 days?

While trying rival service that let me use their MX servers, I've found that they have an interesting feature about this:
Generate reply address on-demand that lasts 3 months.

Z

Post by Z » 09 Jun 2013, 09:22

Sorry, I've been busy lately.

My suggestion contains three things, which each solve different issue effectively.
  • TM should allow usage of custom domains (so customers can use own domains)
    - Solves domain banning / blacklisting
  • Customers (or someone for all or limited set of + customers) should run simple TCP proxy
    - Solves any IP banning / blacklisting
  • TM should allow SMTP traffic in on alternate port
    - Sovles SMTP relay issue for outbound port 25 restricted users, if they run their SMTP relay using home connection or so and dynamic DNS.
I'm glad to hear comments & arguments.

- Sami Lehtinen

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 09 Jun 2013, 20:57

Z wrote:Sorry, I've been busy lately.

My suggestion contains three things, which each solve different issue effectively.
  • TM should allow usage of custom domains (so customers can use own domains)
    - Solves domain banning / blacklisting
  • Customers (or someone for all or limited set of + customers) should run simple TCP proxy
    - Solves any IP banning / blacklisting
  • TM should allow SMTP traffic in on alternate port
    - Sovles SMTP relay issue for outbound port 25 restricted users, if they run their SMTP relay using home connection or so and dynamic DNS.
I'm glad to hear comments & arguments.

- Sami Lehtinen
That is an excellent solution, and I would like to implement it so.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Saxtus

Post by Saxtus » 09 Jun 2013, 22:03

Will that work while on a shared server environment, with no ability to install custom binaries?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 13 Jun 2013, 16:44

Saxtus wrote:Will that work while on a shared server environment, with no ability to install custom binaries?
Normally you need to run your own SMTP server and accepts relay connections from trashmail.net server.
Additionally you should configure your firewall to accept only connections from trashmail.net server to be sure to not miss configure an open relay smtp server.

Do you can only install PHP scripts on your shared server environment? Does they allow port 25 connections to other SMTP servers?
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Saxtus

Post by Saxtus » 13 Jun 2013, 18:49

Admin wrote:Do you can only install PHP scripts on your shared server environment?
Unfortunately yes.

Admin wrote:Does they allow port 25 connections to other SMTP servers?
Is it possible to pass me a PHP script that can test port 25 connection to your server?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 14 Jun 2013, 08:51

Saxtus wrote:
Admin wrote:Do you can only install PHP scripts on your shared server environment?
Unfortunately yes.

Admin wrote:Does they allow port 25 connections to other SMTP servers?
Is it possible to pass me a PHP script that can test port 25 connection to your server?
Yes please try first if PHP allows you a TCP connection to port 25 by this code:

Code: Select all

<?php

$client = stream_socket_client("tcp://smtp.trashmail.net:25", $errno, $errorMessage);

if ($client === false) {
    die("Failed to connect: $errorMessage");
}

echo fgets($client);
fclose($client);
It should return that:

220 trashmail.net ESMTP server
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Saxtus

Post by Saxtus » 14 Jun 2013, 18:20

Admin wrote:Yes please try first if PHP allows you a TCP connection to port 25 by this code:

<?php

$client = stream_socket_client("tcp://smtp.trashmail.net:25", $errno, $errorMessage);

if ($client === false) {
    die("Failed to connect: $errorMessage");
}

echo fgets($client);
fclose($client);
It should return that:

220 trashmail.net ESMTP server

Failed to connect: Connection timed out
If I manage to make them open that at server's firewall (is it blocked there?), will need anything else?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 16 Jun 2013, 20:20

Failed to connect: Connection timed out
If I manage to make them open that at server's firewall (is it blocked there?), will need anything else?[/quote]

They will never open it for you, as they could easily become a spammer as customer.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Saxtus

Post by Saxtus » 16 Jun 2013, 22:28

Then how about using custom trashmail MX server that you provide (possibly with different IP than the one used to serve the trashmail.net addresses, to avoid the blacklists), as I have access to DNS records?

I don't know if I am allowed to disclose the rival service that I am using,
but they do exactly that (even for non-paying users) and so far it seems that works just fine.

The bad thing is that they don't have blacklist/whitelist system, nor challenge-response system (as they are against it).

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 17 Jun 2013, 10:33

Saxtus wrote:Then how about using custom trashmail MX server that you provide (possibly with different IP than the one used to serve the trashmail.net addresses, to avoid the blacklists), as I have access to DNS records?

I don't know if I am allowed to disclose the rival service that I am using,
but they do exactly that (even for non-paying users) and so far it seems that works just fine.

The bad thing is that they don't have blacklist/whitelist system, nor challenge-response system (as they are against it).
There are two solutions is:
1. You get a Linux dedicated or virtual server
2. I rent the dedicated or virtual server for you

At Hetzner.de the smallest minimum VPS would costs 94.8 EUR per year.
There is no other solution to get an own IP for less costs as I know.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 17 Jun 2013, 10:40

Cheaper alternatives, perfectly suitable for that purpose: http://www.lowendbox.com/
No guarantees, what so ever. ;) My server from one (super cheap) provider, simply disappeared one day. But that's life. I didn't get any refund from Paypal.