Page 1 of 1

send first email through trashmail

Posted: 17 Jun 2006, 19:51
by witty
Hello,

it's clear to me, how to use trashmail-addresses in webforms etc.

but what about sending a mail to someone, and I want my just generated trashmail-address to be used as "from" and "reply-to" - so my real address is hidden

thx
michi

Re: send first email through trashmail

Posted: 17 Jun 2006, 22:07
by Admin
witty wrote:Hello,
but what about sending a mail to someone, and I want my just generated trashmail-address to be used as "from" and "reply-to" - so my real address is hidden
Hi,

I discussed this already with the forum user Z. I will add a new feature for this, I should create a TODO forum where I post all features which I must code. :)

But I think this kind of feature would require a visual confirmation code or something like this, because spammers (and there are many spammer who try to shut down TrashMail) could use this feature as an open realy.

Posted: 17 Jun 2006, 22:25
by Admin
I have added your idea in the To Do list in the new section of the forum, and finally it's bad to use a web interface to send the message, because users (me included) prefer to use their confortable email client. But to create a special trashmail address to send first out a mail to an user, there would be a special page on trashmail.net to create this address with a visual confirmation code.
If you have any suggestions, please post them directly in the new ToDo forum.

Posted: 19 Jun 2006, 10:03
by Z
Hmm. I guess this "send mail" could also be beneficial with white listing feature. So if you SEND mail using that address also reply-address would be automaticly white-listed.

What do you think about this?

Posted: 19 Jun 2006, 12:31
by Admin
Z wrote:Hmm. I guess this "send mail" could also be beneficial with white listing feature. So if you SEND mail using that address also reply-address would be automaticly white-listed.

What do you think about this?
Yes, that would be a good idea. But personally I respond with other FROM Addresses, I have more than 10 different emails addresses which forwards mails to one common address.

I think I should also provide an Interface on the modification page with a list of accepted email addresses, and a ban function, to ban some email addresses with wildcard options.
For example to ban: *@foobar.com
Or *.tld

Posted: 19 Jun 2006, 12:41
by Z
Admin wrote:Yes, that would be a good idea. But personally I respond with other FROM Addresses, I have more than 10 different emails addresses which forwards mails to one common address.
So do I. But if I use service like trashmail with reply-masking. My mail seems to be coming from same address. You should be using this great service too, Mr.Admin ;)

Also most of people have single address that they use. So reply is coming from same address where I sent my mail.
I think I should also provide an Interface on the modification page with a list of accepted email addresses, and a ban function, to ban some email addresses with wildcard options.
For example to ban: *@foobar.com
Or *.tld
Yep. I were thinking about that too. But then I though naah, too much work to do. So you can black-list and if address is on black-list it can't be whitelisted (automaticly). What if address is on both lists? I think black list should prevent getting white listed automaticly. But If I ban *@hotmail.com, and I still wanna receive email from example-address@hotmail.com then I should be able to do it, or what do you think?

Br,
Z

Posted: 19 Jun 2006, 13:01
by Admin
My mail seems to be coming from same address. You sould be using this great service too, Mr.Admin ;)
LOL!
Yes you are right.
But If I ban *@hotmail.com, and I still wanna receive email from example-address@hotmail.com then I should be able to do it, or what do you think?
Ok in the first version, this kind of whitelisting is already very great if it works.

My only problem is if a virus with random valid FROM addresses send mails to @trashmail.net, then TrashMail will respond to the valid FROM addresses with the message: "Require confirmation". So everyone will be spammed with garabage messages of TrashMail.

And another thing:
We need absolutly automatical whitelisting when sending a mail. Because if somebody sends an email to somebody and the receiver person uses also a whitelisting system, we must get the message that we must confirm the message! :D

Posted: 19 Jun 2006, 13:33
by Z
Admin wrote:We need absolutly automatical whitelisting when sending a mail. Because if somebody sends an email to somebody and the receiver person uses also a whitelisting system, we must get the message that we must confirm the message! :D
True!

That's just why when I send email to someone that address should be whitelisted at that moment. So if some confirmation message is coming back instantly I can verify it.

Br,
Z

Posted: 22 Jun 2006, 13:47
by Admin
Z wrote:
Admin wrote:We need absolutly automatical whitelisting when sending a mail. Because if somebody sends an email to somebody and the receiver person uses also a whitelisting system, we must get the message that we must confirm the message! :D
True!

That's just why when I send email to someone that address should be whitelisted at that moment. So if some confirmation message is coming back instantly I can verify it.
Exactly, it will be implemented so.

Posted: 23 Aug 2006, 01:57
by etrask
One can already SORT of send the first email, I have tried it. It takes a bit more work, but it works the same way replies do through trashmail.

Say I want to send an email to example@hotmail.com, I would instead send an email to [the_trashmail_account].reply.example_at_hotmail_com@trashmail.net from my real email address. I haven't tried this from a non-registered e-mail address. [Admin: possible exploitation here!] The .reply. is used for Reply-To e-mails, but TrashMail doesn't seem to check whether the incoming mail is actually in reply to anything.

This works like a charm for sending the first e-mail.

The only feature I wish Trashmail had is the 'pseudo-anonymous' feature talked about in the to-do list. In my eyes, it will be flawless after that.


Keep up the good work, guys, and thanks for providing a great service.

Posted: 23 Aug 2006, 06:11
by Z
etrask wrote:Say I want to send an email to example@hotmail.com, I would instead send an email to [the_trashmail_account].reply.example_at_hotmail_com@trashmail.net from my real email address. I haven't tried this from a non-registered e-mail address. [Admin: possible exploitation here!] The .reply. is used for Reply-To e-mails, but TrashMail doesn't seem to check whether the incoming mail is actually in reply to anything.

This works like a charm for sending the first e-mail.
I tried that I didn't manage to do it. Earlier I have had discussion with admin about this. And all reply to emails are saved. So I need first to send "faked from" message to my self and then I can I can send message "out" using trashmail. But sending first message diretly using trashmail doesn't work.
The only feature I wish Trashmail had is the 'pseudo-anonymous' feature talked about in the to-do list. In my eyes, it will be flawless after that.
Yep. I would love it too.

There was famous pseudo-anonymous service anon.penet.fi. But it proved to be non-flaw-enforcement proof. So it was shutdown. Anyway, I would clearly tell that this service is pseudo-anon. But if there are any official national court request to get access to logs. We will provide it. So, don't use this pseudo-anonymous feature for wrong purposes. It's not for kiddie porn, murder threats, bomb threats or anything else which will be considered a bad bad thing.

It's fool proof and safe if you don't cross that line.

Posted: 28 Nov 2006, 00:26
by Admin
The web form version is now available.
I will add later the german and french version.
Have fun! :D

Posted: 08 Dec 2006, 12:40
by Z
Cool thanks.