duplicate user accounts?

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

google

duplicate user accounts?

Post by google » 31 Dec 2008, 19:00

has anyone encountered a situation where someone else is using the same email address? in otherwords you are receiving their emails as well as your own? I have also seen a lot of emails providing order status....emails that were never originated from me

odd?

Admin
Site Admin

Re: duplicate user accounts?

Post by Admin » 07 Jan 2009, 08:49

google wrote:has anyone encountered a situation where someone else is using the same email address? in otherwords you are receiving their emails as well as your own? I have also seen a lot of emails providing order status....emails that were never originated from me

odd?
I never had this problem because I use random names. But it could be possible. :-)
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 07 Jan 2009, 09:07

google wrote:has anyone encountered a situation where someone else is using the same email address? in otherwords you are receiving their emails as well as your own? I have also seen a lot of emails providing order status....emails that were never originated from me
It's natural. If you use "stupid" addresses. I just registered toto at trashmail.net which is the example address which is shown if you doesn't give any address and delete that random address.

Supprisingly, or not (!), I'm getting some "other" email.

Funny, isn't it?

Yes, always use random address. If you use something like email at trashmail.net or mail at trashmail.net it's quite sure that email address is already been used and is already on spam lists.

Remember that address is only reserved for 6 months after it has been expired. So it's well possible to get junk.

I did create info at trashmail.net just to check if it's free and it was. I now get about 500 spams / week to that address. ;) So it's all your fault if you get junk.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 09 Jan 2009, 09:52

Z wrote:
It's natural. If you use "stupid" addresses. I just registered toto at trashmail.net which is the example address which is shown if you doesn't give any address and delete that random address.

Supprisingly, or not (!), I'm getting some "other" email.

Funny, isn't it?

Yes, always use random address. If you use something like email at trashmail.net or mail at trashmail.net it's quite sure that email address is already been used and is already on spam lists.

Remember that address is only reserved for 6 months after it has been expired. So it's well possible to get junk.

I did create info at trashmail.net just to check if it's free and it was. I now get about 500 spams / week to that address. ;) So it's all your fault if you get junk.
The 6 months reservations is currently out of service for performance reasons. I will need to reimplement it.
Maybe I should create a web page showing which features are enabled.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

google

Post by google » 19 Jan 2009, 18:03

I actually receive someone else's email. how is it possible that 2 people could have the same trashmail email account? who is to say what is what is common vs non common trashmail user names?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 20 Jan 2009, 20:42

google wrote:I actually receive someone else's email. how is it possible that 2 people could have the same trashmail email account? who is to say what is what is common vs non common trashmail user names?
2 people can not receive emails at the same time. But if you delete your trashmail account and someone other creates a new one with the same name, then its possible
Common trashmail names are random generated: There is only a low possibility to get a new trashmail name which existed already before.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 27 Jan 2009, 08:08

Admin wrote:There is only a low possibility to get a new trashmail name which existed already before.
Don't bullshit me... ;) Because people use addresses like that toto which I mentioned, it's not so unlikely. It's very unlikely if you use random+something but if you only use something part, then it's quite common to get collisions.

Passwords should be strong and random. If you take user database with 10000 user accounts, guess what. You'll get tons of password collisions? It should be very unlikely that "random string" with 8 chars in it get any collisions in set of 10000 random strings. Because there is at least 218340105584896 options with very limited charset. And it means that there is plenty of addresses for everyone on this planet. But yep, it's very likely when you start counting "moron user" factor. Which is unfortunately totally human (and high) factor.

password is, password, 123456, password1, secret, secret1, etc...

Have you ever tried to create new gmail account? You'll find that it's quite "hard" to find unused username, atough there is plenty of space of free addresses. For some reason some parts of that string space are more occupied than others. I assume that [email protected] is used, but [email protected] isn't... Why? Think about that. Btw account [email protected] is over quota, try to guess why. ;)