Antispam reports

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Saxtus

Antispam reports

Post by Saxtus » 24 Feb 2011, 17:57

Few hours ago, I did the mistake of reporting a spam message that was previously forwarded through trashmail, to a known antispam service (won't disclose name for obvious reasons) causing trouble to the operator of the service as his ISP threaten to close him down once received their report (that's the only thing they do, they send complain email to abuse address of ISP that the email passed through).

I am sharing this incident publicly because I would hate to see this happening if someone else did the same as me and to find out if there is a way to get original headers before trashmail add it's own info, so can safely report spam and try to stop spam at it's root.

Thanks in advance and I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience I cause to trashmail.net operator.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Antispam reports

Post by Admin » 24 Feb 2011, 20:12

Hello Saxtus,

thanks for your action. Unfortunately my ISP Hetzner takes this anti-spam site abuse message very seriously.
It happened already mutliple times from other persons. If it continues in the future I would maybe install an external SMTP server and relay all mails to this external server.

Thanks for informing the other customers about this issue.

So: Never report spam when its forwarded over TrashMail.net. The anti-spam services will complain at ISP about the first entry they find in the email header.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

brianmgb

Re: Antispam reports

Post by brianmgb » 25 Feb 2011, 17:42

Hi all,I use spamcop for reporting spam.I have been asked to notify the site admin of the hosts I use to prevent "false positives" which mailhost should I report for my trasmail mails.
thanks
brian