mail server too aggressive - blocks legit mail

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

If an address has not expired and has a nonzero allowance,

then the message should be delivered.
67%
the message should still only be delivered if it passes further tests like being sent from an approved server and the senders address matches the domain of the sending server.
33%

Total votes: 3

pilPopr

mail server too aggressive - blocks legit mail

Post by pilPopr » 05 Feb 2011, 22:08

If a sender connects directly to the trashmail.net server to send a message (without relaying through a specially blessed server), trashmail does not deliver. It rejects legitimate mail. Then if senders connect using a blessed server (like gmail's smtp server for example), it's still rejected if the senders address does not contain the string "@gmail.com". The "Sender Policy Framework" blocks email that doesn't conform to a very rigid standard.

When the envelope is addressed to a permanent address, that insane level of scrutiny is almost justified. But with trashmail.net and all its great user-facing controls (expiration and count allowance) in place, I actually want the mail to get through when it's expected.

I only want mail bounced or blackholed if the allowance count is zero, or the address expired. Controlling the senders method of transmission is overkill, and consequently makes trashmail.net unreliable.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: mail server too aggressive - blocks legit mail

Post by Admin » 15 Feb 2011, 23:07

pilPopr wrote:If a sender connects directly to the trashmail.net server to send a message (without relaying through a specially blessed server), trashmail does not deliver. It rejects legitimate mail. Then if senders connect using a blessed server (like gmail's smtp server for example), it's still rejected if the senders address does not contain the string "@gmail.com". The "Sender Policy Framework" blocks email that doesn't conform to a very rigid standard.

When the envelope is addressed to a permanent address, that insane level of scrutiny is almost justified. But with trashmail.net and all its great user-facing controls (expiration and count allowance) in place, I actually want the mail to get through when it's expected.

I only want mail bounced or blackholed if the allowance count is zero, or the address expired. Controlling the senders method of transmission is overkill, and consequently makes trashmail.net unreliable.
SPF filters only on SMTP level which means it forbids you to fake the "MAIL FROM" line.
Forwarding should work if you provide a correct "MAIL FROM" entry and then in the mail "DATA" you can provide a "From: " what ever you want. So the forwarding service should re-mail the email, this is exactly what TrashMail does.
I had to install SPF because spammer send out to people with faked @trashmail.net MAIL FROMs in spam mails.

Example how a valid request you can do yourself from your ISP with telnet trashmail.net 25:

Code: Select all

Connected to trashmail.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 trashmail.net ESMTP server
HELO test
MAIL FROM: [email protected]
RCPT TO: [email protected]
250 trashmail.net
250 2.1.0 Ok
250 2.1.5 Ok
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>