Not Receiving Mail, Either

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Post Reply
smith_fan
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44
Location: "Outta My Head"

Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by smith_fan » 03 Apr 2008, 22:58

I am also having the problem of not receiving forwarded emails which several web sites claimed to have sent. I had created several long-term trashmail addresses in the past for different activities. Unfortunately I don't have administrative access to any of them because of an accidentally-wiped flash drive. That happens to be the cause of the latest example of the problem. The site at GParted Forum stated it had sent a message to 'Forums_Registrations@Trashmail.net', but the address that I'd associated with this long-term trashmail address received no message. Nothing in the spam folder, either. Previously, I have emailed my ISP's support (Time-Warner's RoadRunner) about it, explaining the problem, and inquiring about their possible blocking criteria. But I never heard back from them, of course.

I am sorely-lacking in my networking knowledge and I know nothing about the workings of trashmail.net. I am hoping that somebody can help me trouble-shoot the situation and figure out how to use this great service effectively.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Darin

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1239
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by Admin » 04 Apr 2008, 21:12

smith_fan wrote:I am also having the problem of not receiving forwarded emails which several web sites claimed to have sent. I had created several long-term trashmail addresses in the past for different activities. Unfortunately I don't have administrative access to any of them because of an accidentally-wiped flash drive. That happens to be the cause of the latest example of the problem. The site at GParted Forum stated it had sent a message to 'Forums_Registrations@Trashmail.net', but the address that I'd associated with this long-term trashmail address received no message. Nothing in the spam folder, either. Previously, I have emailed my ISP's support (Time-Warner's RoadRunner) about it, explaining the problem, and inquiring about their possible blocking criteria. But I never heard back from them, of course.

I am sorely-lacking in my networking knowledge and I know nothing about the workings of trashmail.net. I am hoping that somebody can help me trouble-shoot the situation and figure out how to use this great service effectively.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Darin
Hi,
I checked your account. It does no more exists. However you can recreate the same account on trashmail by providing the same real email address as the first time (old addresses are reserved for 6 months).

Best regards,
saf
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

smith_fan
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44
Location: "Outta My Head"

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by smith_fan » 09 Apr 2008, 19:26

Saf,

When I attempted to re-do the creation of 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail.net' using the same address as I originally had submitted, it told me that name had already been taken or was reserved for system usage. So I tried re-creating 'Forums_Registrations@Trashmail.net'... Sorry. The source name is already taken. Please choose another one. Your source name is invalid or a reserved word of our system. Please choose another word.

Can you help me understand why the site is not doing what you've stated it would do? :?:

Also, do you have a method for recording which address was used with which thing you signed-up for? (That is why I had tried just creating a few categorical addresses.)

Am I just misusing the extension somehow? :oops:

Thanks again!

Darin

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1239
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by Admin » 10 Apr 2008, 12:21

smith_fan wrote:Saf,

When I attempted to re-do the creation of 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail.net' using the same address as I originally had submitted, it told me that name had already been taken or was reserved for system usage. So I tried re-creating 'Forums_Registrations@Trashmail.net'... Sorry. The source name is already taken. Please choose another one. Your source name is invalid or a reserved word of our system. Please choose another word.

Can you help me understand why the site is not doing what you've stated it would do? :?:

Also, do you have a method for recording which address was used with which thing you signed-up for? (That is why I had tried just creating a few categorical addresses.)

Am I just misusing the extension somehow? :oops:

Thanks again!

Darin
Hi, you are right. This was a software bug in the TrashMail software. The account reservation has now been temporary disabled. Now it should work.

Best regards,
saf
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

smith_fan
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44
Location: "Outta My Head"

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by smith_fan » 10 Apr 2008, 17:12

I'm afraid it still ain't doing it. I tried re-creating 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail.net' using the same address as I originally had used... Sorry. The source name is already taken. Please choose another one. Your source name is invalid or a reserved word of our system. Please choose another word.

It appears that many people are successfully using Trashmail.net. Maybe I'm just not cut out for it. (?) :?

Thanks,
Darin
Thank you much; have a great one!,
~D~

Z
Posts: 189
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 10:28
Contact:

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by Z » 17 Apr 2008, 07:24

smith_fan wrote:I tried re-creating 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail.net'
I suggest you use random / unique addresses. Using "generic" addresses easily leads to situation that someone else reclaims that address when you're not using it anymore.

So forum_Registrations is quite stupid idea IMHO. How about zfrmst-djkl@trashmail.net so someone else won't reclaim that address. There is also a "risk" that if your address is publicly visible that some else takes it over and claims also that forum account using "your" email address, which isn't your's anymore.

But that's not a new problem. Same problem exists with all popular email services. If I see that someone has registered and got nice fame using account kdf-usd8fs@hotmail.com a few years a go. Then I'll simply send email to that account. See that it's not used anymore. I'll register that account and use password recovery from forum to gain access.

That's why people absolutely shouldn't use email recovery features based on email address. Or at least it should be related to private question. And if you're using private question, remember to give answer like jg89s9fafjdlignbn8xbAHS so there is no possible way to guess or know answer to it.

But yeah. I'm security tinfoil hat dude. And I think that 99.5% of net users are total morons when it comes to IT security. So if you feel like one right now, don't be embarrassed because you're just in the huge majority.

smith_fan
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44
Location: "Outta My Head"

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by smith_fan » 17 Apr 2008, 23:01

Z,

In my opinion, this world could use a lot more of the tin-foil hat types! By being that type of person you make it easy for me to know who the last person on earth to be victimized by cyber-fraud/crime would be! I won't be too far behind you as I, too, lean toward the 'so anal it's unusable' side of things...

Do you have any ideas for keeping track of which address was used with which account? That has been the primary deterrent to me using really random addresses. Can I ask how you handle that particular issue? Also, I am quite curious about steps you take to minimize spam and maintain anonymity.

I appreciate your thoughts, security tin-foil hat dude. Keep up the good fight! :)

Take it easy,
~D~
Thank you much; have a great one!,
~D~

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1239
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by Admin » 18 Apr 2008, 12:00

smith_fan wrote:Saf,

When I attempted to re-do the creation of 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail.net' using the same address as I originally had submitted, it told me that name had already been taken or was reserved for system usage. So I tried re-creating 'Forums_Registrations@Trashmail.net'... Sorry. The source name is already taken. Please choose another one. Your source name is invalid or a reserved word of our system. Please choose another word.

Can you help me understand why the site is not doing what you've stated it would do? :?:

Also, do you have a method for recording which address was used with which thing you signed-up for? (That is why I had tried just creating a few categorical addresses.)

Am I just misusing the extension somehow? :oops:

Thanks again!

Darin
Ok I rechecked your account. It exists. Last time I checked, I forgot to put the name in lower case (in UNIX there is a difference). However for the end-user lower and upper case should not matter. I have sent you a direct email about this topic. Because I'm not sure if it belongs to you or to another person, but the address forwards mails to another email address then which you use in this forum.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

smith_fan
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44
Location: "Outta My Head"

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by smith_fan » 22 Apr 2008, 23:00

Dear Stephan,

Apparently, I had a brain fart and for some reason submitted a Gmail address ('Mr.dPolk'). In an effort to try to prevent such confusing situations I had intended to only use the 'a_smith_fan' yahoo address with Trashmail. Would it be at all possible for you to switch 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail' over to forwarding to the Yahoo address, Stephan? :?:

I apologize to you, sir, for causing such a difficulty, but I applaud you and vigorously thank you for your wonderful level of service! :wink:


Sincerely,

Darin Polk
Memory Lane Photos
816.896.9174
Thank you much; have a great one!,
~D~

Z
Posts: 189
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 10:28
Contact:

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by Z » 23 Apr 2008, 08:08

You can define forwarding address by your self when you're logged in.

Asking to change forwarding of some address to some other address is social engineering attack. So there is what so ever no reason why admins should do it. But there are plenty of reason why they shouldn't do it.

I'm sorry, I have lost all my ID papers and credit cards etc. But I still remember the account number. I'm in hurry and I have very important meeting and I really need cash. So could I withdraw all money from account in cash. - Thanks!

Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1239
Joined: 16 Jun 2006, 08:55
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by Admin » 23 Apr 2008, 08:48

smith_fan wrote:Dear Stephan,

Apparently, I had a brain fart and for some reason submitted a Gmail address ('Mr.dPolk'). In an effort to try to prevent such confusing situations I had intended to only use the 'a_smith_fan' yahoo address with Trashmail. Would it be at all possible for you to switch 'Forum_Registrations@Trashmail' over to forwarding to the Yahoo address, Stephan? :?:

I apologize to you, sir, for causing such a difficulty, but I applaud you and vigorously thank you for your wonderful level of service! :wink:


Sincerely,

Darin Polk
Memory Lane Photos
816.896.9174
You can do it yourself:
Go to the lost password page: https://ssl.trashmail.net/?del_form=1&lang=en
Then log in in your Gmail account and go to the administration page of your trashmail account.
Then change on it your real email address to your Yahoo address.

And then its done. :-)

Log in in your gmail account
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

smith_fan
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44
Location: "Outta My Head"

Re: Not Receiving Mail, Either

Post by smith_fan » 23 Apr 2008, 23:39

Hey—thanks so much, man! Sorry for not being bright enough to figure that out myself... lol :lol: :oops:

Take Care,
~D~

Post Reply