Idea how to decrease spam

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Admin
Site Admin

Idea how to decrease spam

Post by Admin » 12 Mar 2008, 22:51

The domain name trashmail.net gets more and more uncontrolled spams.
An idea to decrease the spam is to create subdomains per date.
For example if somebody creates an email redirection, it would be [email protected]
The advantage would be that in october 2008 I would assign the domain name mars.2008.trashmail.net to 127.0.0.1 or delete it completly from the DNS.
This could decrease the spam. Maybe mars.2008 is to long, and users prefers encrypted names like [email protected]
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Re: Idea how to decrease spam

Post by Z » 13 Mar 2008, 10:32

Hmm. Nice idea. I would prefer having short prefixes just like xkj.trashmail.net. You could change that once / year. And it could be enabled by default.

For most of temporary use that would make no difference. [email protected].

But if user wants to. It should be possible to get long term address @trashmail.net domain without sub domain.

Comments, ideas?

P.S. Does this mean that trashmail.net is already receiving so much spam that you're starting to have capacity problems?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 13 Mar 2008, 21:53

Z wrote:Hmm. Nice idea. I would prefer having short prefixes just like xkj.trashmail.net. You could change that once / year. And it could be enabled by default.

For most of temporary use that would make no difference. [email protected].

But if user wants to. It should be possible to get long term address @trashmail.net domain without sub domain.

Comments, ideas?

P.S. Does this mean that trashmail.net is already receiving so much spam that you're starting to have capacity problems?
I had some problems in the this and the last month. When I received more than 450 spam mails/min (distributed D.o.S. attack), the SMTP connections were all taken and no new incoming connection could connect to the service. So the speed indicator decreased to 0 spam mails/min (but there were heavy activities!!!). Then the SMTP server software suddently kicked out a bunch of 500 connections because of a timeout I set to 3 seconds. Then the other spam bots connected to send their spam trash, and suddently I had over 1000 spam mails per minute, decreasing than again to 200. Its not clear if the SMTP server software first gives priority to accepting connections before handling the incoming queue or if the incoming connection were blocking real email incoming connections.

However with the new speed improovement I can now at any time increase the number of accepting connections.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 14 Mar 2008, 08:06

Admin wrote:Its not clear if the SMTP server software first gives priority to accepting connections before handling the incoming queue or if the incoming connection were blocking real email incoming connections.

However with the new speed improovement I can now at any time increase the number of accepting connections.
Usually servers extract queue using FIFO policy. If there is queue (backlog) at all it's usually limited. Some servers doesn't queue connections at all. Meaning that when limit is reached rest of connections are directly rejected. And some servers accept connection, report server busy and disconnect.

There are many ways to do it. But actually the end result is same. When ever there is too much traffic it leads to problems. There is no way to get around it using any tricks. No matter how sophisticated those tricks might be.

Discalimer: IMHO and AFAIK. ;)

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 14 Mar 2008, 09:30

Z wrote:
Admin wrote:Its not clear if the SMTP server software first gives priority to accepting connections before handling the incoming queue or if the incoming connection were blocking real email incoming connections.

Usually servers extract queue using FIFO policy. If there is queue (backlog) at all it's usually limited. Some servers doesn't queue connections at all. Meaning that when limit is reached rest of connections are directly rejected. And some servers accept connection, report server busy and disconnect.

There are many ways to do it. But actually the end result is same. When ever there is too much traffic it leads to problems. There is no way to get around it using any tricks. No matter how sophisticated those tricks might be.

Discalimer: IMHO and AFAIK. ;)
The SMTP server used by TrashMail is Postfix. Postfix is made to handle 1 million emails per day, it has been made for this. Its used in most biggest world companies around the world (ok, I know, it means nothing lol).
When an email comes, the email is readden by a smtpd process and then saved locally in a queue and then the connection is closed. There is a seperated process who regulary reads the queues and begins to deliver the mail internally. Postfix can be configured to have a lot of smtpd process which only accepts connections, checks the username and the move the data in the local queue. Thats all. I think Postfix is the fastest mail server I know.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 17 Mar 2008, 05:57

It seems that there are quite active spammers. Today I received spam to all of my 3 letter / number mailboxes. It tells that addresses aren't being harvested from newsgroups or from web-pages. All addresses are systematicly being spammed trough. Also messages came in alphabetical order and just in 5 minutes. from aaa-zzz...

- PHEW - That means a lot of junk is drifting around.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 18 Mar 2008, 12:04

Z wrote:It seems that there are quite active spammers. Today I received spam to all of my 3 letter / number mailboxes. It tells that addresses aren't being harvested from newsgroups or from web-pages. All addresses are systematicly being spammed trough. Also messages came in alphabetical order and just in 5 minutes. from aaa-zzz...

- PHEW - That means a lot of junk is drifting around.
Lol, some spammers tries to send spam by using bruteforce technics directly on the smtp server.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH