Why is "Reply-To" set?

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

somebody

Why is "Reply-To" set?

Post by somebody » 07 Jan 2008, 09:30

Hello.

I sent a mail to one of my accounts "[email protected]". When I received that mail, I noticed that the Reply-To: header is set to something like "herausforderung-antwortfox_dcccty.reply.alexander_skwar_at_example_net@trashmail.net" (instead of example_net, the real sender domain was mentioned). I then replied to this mail, ie. I sent a mail to herausforderung-antwortfox_dcccty.reply.alexander_skwar_at_example_net@trashmail.net and received that mail just fine at my "examle.net" account. From: in the reply was set to the original From of the account from which I send the mail.

Why is the Reply-To: header set? Why do you "force" users to relay mails over trashmail.net?

Best regards,
Alexander

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why is "Reply-To" set?

Post by Admin » 07 Jan 2008, 22:57

somebody wrote:Hello.

I sent a mail to one of my accounts "[email protected]". When I received that mail, I noticed that the Reply-To: header is set to something like "herausforderung-antwortfox_dcccty.reply.alexander_skwar_at_example_net@trashmail.net" (instead of example_net, the real sender domain was mentioned). I then replied to this mail, ie. I sent a mail to herausforderung-antwortfox_dcccty.reply.alexander_skwar_at_example_net@trashmail.net and received that mail just fine at my "examle.net" account. From: in the reply was set to the original From of the account from which I send the mail.

Why is the Reply-To: header set? Why do you "force" users to relay mails over trashmail.net?

Best regards,
Alexander
Hi,
its to protect your privacy.
When you use the Reply-To address, then your real email address will be replaced by the trashmail.net email address in the response.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

archermoo

Post by archermoo » 24 Jul 2008, 21:21

How long does it take for replies to start working? I just set up a trashmail address, and have tested it twice. I received both incoming messages, but neither reply has been delivered yet.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 28 Jul 2008, 21:44

archermoo wrote:How long does it take for replies to start working? I just set up a trashmail address, and have tested it twice. I received both incoming messages, but neither reply has been delivered yet.
Very strange.
Please send me to [email protected] the reply address.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

jobie

Post by jobie » 31 Oct 2008, 10:22

Thanks for this service. I just registered for Plus.
I have a similar question to that above:
Just testing to see how things work, I sent an email (1) from [email protected] to [email protected] which went to my Gmail account

The replyto address was TM.reply.HM_at_hotmail_com
I sent a reply (2) using this replyto from my Gmail and it made it to my hotmail with the From field as follows:

However, replying back (3) to this message from the Hotmail was not deliverable and came back from Mail Delivery System ([email protected])

I realize that by sending the first reply through trashmail it protects my Gmail account, but because of this there cannot be several replies back and forth?
Is this how it is supposed to be?
Could the responses from our protected accounts (in this case Gmail) go through trashmail but still end up with the original Trashmail address as the From Address (in this case [email protected])
I hope my question is clear.
And thanks again for setting this all up
j

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 31 Oct 2008, 21:14

jobie wrote: I realize that by sending the first reply through trashmail it protects my Gmail account, but because of this there cannot be several replies back and forth?
Normally yes. But what could be possible is that when your trashmail address will be automatically deleted, also the reply-to addresses will be deleted. Maybe when you tested the reply-to function you set to do only one forwarding on the trashmail address and then the address has been automatically deleted?
jobie wrote: Is this how it is supposed to be?
Yes, reply-to addresses are to protect your privacy and should work in both directions as long the trashmail address exists.
jobie wrote: Could the responses from our protected accounts (in this case Gmail) go through trashmail but still end up with the original Trashmail address as the From Address (in this case [email protected])
Normally when you sent an email to:
[email protected]
it means that your email will be forwarded to [email protected] but the receiver will see in its From header [email protected] to protect your real email address.
But I admit that maybe there is somewhere a bug in the trashmail software. :D
In this case I need to repair it.
jobie wrote: I hope my question is clear.
And thanks again for setting this all up
No problem. It you find out how to produce this MAILER-DAEMON error I would be interessted. Please post here the complete MAILER-DAEMON message (by deleteing your real email addresses). Then I could debug what is happenning.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH