Warning message before address is being deleted

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

decomp

Warning message before address is being deleted

Post by decomp » 31 Oct 2007, 14:56

Hi, i read the implementation of sending a warning message BEFORE the address is being deleted, is in the pipeline. Great! But how does this feature actualy work, now, as it is?
I'm an excited newbie at Trashmail, an tested an account with a 1 day live span, just to see if i grasp everything.
I noticed the deletion warning email, was not launched at the time the account expired, but immediately in response of an email i sent to that, no longer excisting, address. But maybe I was to quickly (like always :D ).
In what timespan can one normally expect to receive a warning message about deletion?
Are those warning messages handled once a day in a batch job maybe?
A happy Trashmail user.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Warning message before address is being deleted

Post by Admin » 31 Oct 2007, 15:29

decomp wrote:Hi, i read the implementation of sending a warning message BEFORE the address is being deleted, is in the pipeline. Great! But how does this feature actualy work, now, as it is?
I'm an excited newbie at Trashmail, an tested an account with a 1 day live span, just to see if i grasp everything.
I noticed the deletion warning email, was not launched at the time the account expired, but immediately in response of an email i sent to that, no longer excisting, address. But maybe I was to quickly (like always :D ).
In what timespan can one normally expect to receive a warning message about deletion?
Are those warning messages handled once a day in a batch job maybe?
Hi,
expired emails are deleted by a batch script. When they are deleted by the batch script, a warn message is sent to the original email address.
But if emails arrives before the batch script is launched, an additional verification is be done to verify if the email address has already be expired and then a special message is sent to the sender. The reason for that is that the original SMTP mail server software has not been modified to work with TrashMail.
The reason is that its then easier to change from one day to another the SMTP mail software in case of a specific problem (e.g. security problem) and additionally its easier to patch the mail server software.
What would be good is if mail server software could contain an API for plugins like Apache has for its modules.

The bactch scripts are currently launched at:
- 06:00
- 11:00
- 21:00

Some times I modify this values depending how much is the load on the server.
Currently TrashMail rejects about 100 000 spam emails per day, and the load is below 5%.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

decomp

Post by decomp » 31 Oct 2007, 15:39

Thanks for the swift response.
Useful info, makes sense too.

Glad i joined this excellent service you provide.
It's on my list on my website. Hope you can take some promotion? :wink:

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 31 Oct 2007, 17:13

decomp wrote:Thanks for the swift response.
Useful info, makes sense too.

Glad i joined this excellent service you provide.
It's on my list on my website. Hope you can take some promotion? :wink:
Of course I need promotion! Thanks very much for your help.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH