I/O problem

This is a general forum about all topics, i.e. TrashMail.net, spam mails, email protection, privacy and other things.

Admin
Site Admin

I/O problem

Post by Admin » 11 Jul 2007, 16:37

I'm currently rebuilding the RAID array. This uses some I/O and has impact on the mail server. Currently TrashMail has more incoming emails than it could process. I'm currently fixing the problem...
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Re: I/O problem

Post by Admin » 11 Jul 2007, 21:22

Admin wrote:I'm currently rebuilding the RAID array. This uses some I/O and has impact on the mail server. Currently TrashMail has more incoming emails than it could process. I'm currently fixing the problem...
The RAID is still rebuilding but the problem has been resolved.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 12 Jul 2007, 23:16

Admin wrote:I'm currently rebuilding the RAID array. This uses some I/O and has impact on the mail server. Currently TrashMail has more incoming emails than it could process. I'm currently fixing the problem...
Again I/O problems due of the huge amounts of spam flooding. The RAID rebuild should be finished this night.
Tomorrow all should be re-run fine (I hope).
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 12 Jul 2007, 23:46

Admin wrote:
Again I/O problems due of the huge amounts of spam flooding. The RAID rebuild should be finished this night.
I retuned now the system. It should now be at least 1000 times faster! :D
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 13 Jul 2007, 00:53

Admin wrote:
Admin wrote:
I retuned now the system. It should now be at least 1000 times faster! :D
The RAID system has been rebuild to 100%. The I/O cache is now active again. The system should work now at fullspeed. :D
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH

Z

Post by Z » 31 Jul 2007, 11:53

So these problems were caused by new RAID system being installed or disk crashing from current raid system?

What kind of RAID you use? RAID 5 because rebuild was so slow?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 03 Aug 2007, 22:24

Z wrote:So these problems were caused by new RAID system being installed or disk crashing from current raid system?

What kind of RAID you use? RAID 5 because rebuild was so slow?
The RAID had the problem that I got a disk device error: One drive did not responded to a request. Then I rebuilded the RAID for security reasons. Its a 3ware RAID. At the same time I got very many spam emails from different sources (some marketing companies). The I/O was too slow to handle all request in the mail queue. But the problem is now fixed.
Best regards,
Stephan Ferraro
Founder of TrashMail.com
CEO of Aionda GmbH